Through his research, Ernest Holmes created a “structure of concepts” based on the religions and philosophies of human history, sometimes correlating his findings with the then-emerging “new” physics. He named the teaching a science because he believed that its principles were scientifically provable in practice. He wrote, “I would rather see a student of this Science prove its Principle than to have him repeat all the words of wisdom that have ever been uttered.”
Holmes ultimately came to believe in a “core concept” – what he saw as a “Golden thread of truth” that ran through all of the world’s religions as well as in science and philosophy.
In the 1920s, Holmes published the following statement of beliefs:
- I believe in God, the Living Spirit Almighty; one, indestructible, absolute and self-existent Cause. This One manifests itself in and through all creation, but is not absorbed by its creation. The manifest universe is the body of God; it is the logical and necessary outcome of the infinite self-knowingness of God.
- I believe in the incarnation of the Spirit in all, and that we are all incarnations of the One Spirit. I believe in the eternality, the immortality, and the continuity of the individual soul, forever and ever expanding.
- I believe that Heaven is within me and that I experience It to the degree that I become conscious of it.
- I believe the ultimate goal of life to be a complete emancipation from all discord of every nature, and that this goal is sure to be attained by all.
- I believe in the unity of all life, and that the highest God and the innermost God is one God.
- I believe that God is personal to all who feel this indwelling Presence.
- I believe in the direct revelation of Truth through my intuitive and spiritual nature, and that anyone may become a revealer of Truth who lives in close contact with the indwelling God.
- I believe that the Universal Spirit, which is God, operates through a Universal Mind, which is the Law of God; and that I am surrounded by this Creative Mind which receives the direct impress of my thought and acts upon it.
- I believe in the healing of the sick through the power of the Mind. I believe in the control of conditions through the power of the Mind. I believe in the eternal Goodness, the eternal Loving-kindness and the eternal Givingness of Life to all.
- I believe in my own soul, my own spirit, and my own destiny; for I understand that the life I live is God. Amen. And So It Is.